Business in Brief
A round-up of the latest business news in analytical science, from a program that promises to accelerate drug development to new product launches
- RESOLUTION Spectra Systems has recently been acquired by Merck, adding the company’s Raman spectroscopy sensors to Merck’s established bioprocessing portfolio. The acquisition is said to be in response to the move towards digitalization in the biopharmaceutical industry.
- A new partnership between Bruker and Purity-IQ combines Bruker’s NMR-based screening and Purity-IQ’S genomics capabilities to offer traceability and identity testing throughout the cannabis supply chain.
- MOBILion Systems, Inc. has successfully raised $35 million in a second funding round for its proprietary ion mobility separations technology. SLIM (Structures for Lossless Ion Manipulation) can rapidly analyze challenging molecules, offering potential benefits to the pharmaceutical industry.
- Thermo Fisher is partnering with a number of CROs to offer pharma and biotech companies more accessible cryo-EM services. “We hope this program will enable cryo-EM for the masses,” said Denis Zeyer, chief executive officer of CRO NovAliX.
- Following acquisition of KnowItAll informatics spectroscopy software and spectral databases earlier this year, Wiley has announced the debut of KnowItAll 2020. This new product features tools to accelerate the spectral analysis of unknown compounds and offers drug classification via infrared spectroscopy.
By the time I finished my degree in Microbiology I had come to one conclusion – I did not want to work in a lab. Instead, I decided to move to the south of Spain to teach English. After two brilliant years, I realized that I missed science, and what I really enjoyed was communicating scientific ideas – whether that be to four-year-olds or mature professionals. On returning to England I landed a role in science writing and found it combined my passions perfectly. Now at Texere, I get to hone these skills every day by writing about the latest research in an exciting, creative way.