Landmark Literature: Part II
As a new year begins, we turn to 2017 for inspiration, asking experts from across analytical science to select one paper that stood out from the crowd.
Koen Sandra, Liam Heaney, Julian Tyson, Christopher Mulligan, Vassilia Zorba |
The Shape of Things to Come
By Koen Sandra, Scientific Director, Research Institute for Chromatography, Kortrijk, Belgium; co-founder and R&D Director anaRIC biologics, Ghent, Belgium.
It will come as no surprise that my selected paper is related to biopharmaceutical analysis. Biopharmaceuticals are becoming a core aspect of the pharmaceutical industry and, in recent years, we have observed many advances in the analysis of these huge and complex structures. 2017 saw a number of exciting papers and lectures in the field – a few that spring to mind are:
- Four-dimensional liquid chromatography (4D-LC) in hyphenation to mass spectrometry (MS) for the characterization of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) (1);
- Detailed characterization of the glycosylation profile of the fusion protein etanercept by high-resolution native MS (2);
- Hydrophilic interaction chromatography (HILIC) for the separation of mAbs at middle-up level (3);
- Direct coupling of cation exchange chromatography (CEX) to MS to directly assign a molecular weight (MW) value to acidic and basic variants of mAbs (4).
Arsenic: an Old Trace
By Julian Tyson, Emeritus Professor Analytical Chemistry, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, USA.
By Christopher C. Mulligan, Professor of Analytical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Illinois State University, USA.
Read the full article now
Log in or register to read this article in full and gain access to The Analytical Scientist’s entire content archive. It’s FREE and always will be!
Or register now - it’s free and always will be!
You will benefit from:
- Unlimited access to ALL articles
- News, interviews & opinions from leading industry experts
- Receive print (and PDF) copies of The Analytical Scientist magazine
Or Login via Social Media
By clicking on any of the above social media links, you are agreeing to our Privacy Notice.